Wednesday 17 February 2010

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Gosh. This'll be short and anything but sweet. It's making me grin just thinking about this train-wreck of a film, that I had even mentioned to a couple of people about how I only seemed to review things that I thought had some aspect that was absolutely excellent, and asked whether I should watch more dross to compensate, to get a bit of variety in my reviewing. And I have to repeat gosh because I probably have more to say about what I didn't like about this than anything else.


It just seemed so very wrong. So repeatedly wrong. Every attempt to make some kind of gesture to the fans, as with the inclusion of Remy LeBeau (Taylor Kitsch) or the young Cyclops, just seemed to falter. Storyline barely existed, while dialogue and performances were stilted at best. Wolverine himself (Hugh Jackman) looked at though he might have dosed up mightily on painkillers just to get through his own performance. Flat and dead behind the eyes is probably being a bit kind. I cared nothing for these folks. I didn't want to care. I just wanted them to go away.


I suppose the tragedy of all of this is that I am a long time X-Men fan. More than just a comic book fan, I also thought Bryan Singer's offerings were passable, if not fairly excellent, as attempts at the early stage of comic book adaptation for the 21st century. X-Men 3 was woefully bad, but still seems to hang together all right in my memory in comparison to this turgid piece of... can I call it cinema? Who would this film even appeal to? It was thoroughly lifeless.


~~~
2009
Hugh Jackman, Taylor Kitsch, Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston
dir. Gavin Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment